Last year I tested a roomy long-sleeved shirt pattern from the 80’s. The shoulder seams are intentionally placed further down the sleeve and I liked the way it draped. When I tested the pattern, I used a cheap polyester and it turned out surprisingly well. I don’t wear the muslin to work because the fabric is flawed, but it’s one of my favorite winter, weekend shirts.
I wanted to try the same pattern in cotton jersey. I find jersey difficult to sew and I want to master that skill. The last time I sewed with jersey, the neckline stretched out and I had to make some alterations to the pattern just to make it wearable. This time around, I’m prepared; I bought a twin needle. I’m still not sure I want to use the twin needle, though. The neckline has a facing and I blind-hemmed it thinking I might want to keep the sleeves and shirt bottom with the raw edge since jersey has a tendency to curl nicely giving a somewhat finished edge.
Here’s where I’m at: