Scanning Patterns – Pt. 2

wpid-test-2-00122.jpg.jpeg

A few months ago, I shared a scanner hack I found on the nets. A few weeks ago, I finally finished modifying a Cannon Lide 90 I bought on ebay using a Dremel saw. Dremel tools are much less powerful than I had hoped. The sawing took almost a half a day and I never did bother with sanding the edges of the plastic  to make them smooth. Anyway, I had some initial trouble with the scanner falling off the track and once I got that back in securely, I was mostly ok – minus the always annoying download of drivers on ancient laptops we have around the house.

wpid-img_20150301_20562522.jpg.jpeg

To scan one pattern it took around 70 scans. That’s much more labor intensive than I had hoped! The results look fairly good, although, I’m curious what the process for printing and piecing together will be like.

wpid-0152.jpg.jpeg

By playing with the contrast and brightness I was able to bring the gray tone down a bit, which should help with ink when printing. I might need to play with the settings a bit more until I can fully do away with that light gray shadow over the whole page.

I like the idea of digitizing my patterns, but honestly this much more work than simply tracing them. I may have to re-think my strategy…

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s