Starting and Finishing

I’ve been starting a lot of projects lately – more than I can finish in even the next two months. I have an inability to concentrate on anything for too long and a need to always have something to look forward to.

Last week I was alone for the weekend so I decided to tackle a few projects in our bathrooms. The ceiling of one of our bathrooms had a big patch from a prior leak that was fixed. The patch was pretty well sealed, but there were some cracks in the corner not related to the leak that I wanted to plaster.

 wpid-img_20150327_215028.jpg  wpid-img_20150329_140252.jpg

The picture above shows the plaster in the corner I seamed in using corner tape and patching plaster. I think that next time I could probably do this more efficiently than 8 coats, but it will be a long time before I decide to put that to test. It was a huge learning pain.

When I finished with the plaster, I repainted the ceiling white and the walls a very light gray. See below.

wpid-img_20150329_144713.jpg  wpid-img_20150331_204155.jpg wpid-img_20150331_204146.jpg

I put two coats of the gray on before I concluded that I hated it. I really felt the tiles called for a loud contrasting color. Since both of our other bathrooms have the same tiles, I wanted to do something completely different in this one. It’s also the bathroom I use, so that gave me free range to do what I wanted. I kept coming back to hot pink…

wpid-img_20150402_221210.jpg wpid-img_20150405_205408.jpg

I’m super happy with how it turned out.

The other project I started last weekend and finished this weekend was painting the sink cabinet in our other bathroom. Aaron really wanted to replace the cabinet because it was super ugly and the bottom was rotted out from a prior leak before our time. I thought we could delay that cost for a while if we just painted black and removed the rotted piece on the bottom.

In the picture below you can see the rotted piece I pulled off.

wpid-img_20150327_192607.jpg

Then I painted the cabinet.

wpid-img_20150327_194813.jpg

wpid-img_20150327_203522.jpg

The bottom was still crumbling in places from the water damage, so I bought some rubber wall/floor base. It’s the stuff you see in gyms and other industrial places along the bottom of the wall. I glued that to the bottom of the cabinet and clamped it for 48 hours. I hope this will give it some stability and to prevent future water damage a bit.

IMG_20150328_191643 IMG_20150405_213631

All in all, I’m pleased with the results. The black really brings the bathroom together.

wpid-img_20150405_213607.jpg

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s