Monthly Archives: August 2015

Muslin for a Baby Baptism Dress

image

My sister asked me to make her daughter’s baptism dress. I altered a pattern a bit and created a muslin for fitting since she lives in another state.

image

In my haste I realized I didn’t adjust the pattern straps. They are drafted to button on the top, so the back strap is longer. I should have cut them even despite the pattern. I’ll have to fix that tomorrow before sending.

image

In addition to creating a straight a-line shape, I also added a loop and ribbon in the back to more easily get the dress over my niece’s head. I hope there’s enough room!

image

I also realized if I had paid a bit more attention (or any) to pattern placement the floral design would be perfectly centered. It’s off an inch or so and it’s killing me! Oh well, that’s why we make muslins.

Updated with shortened straps:
image

When French Seams Go Bad

I’m really in love with my Simplicity 9043 pattern right now. I finished three t-shirts this weekend but I managed to take pictures of only one. The fabric I used was a thick polyester I’ve had on hand for some time. This one turned OK…

image

image

image

image

You can see on the sleeves that the seams look a little clumsy. I tried to use French seams on the entire shirt, but the fabric is too thick for that. I may try to serge the armholes later when I change the black thread from my serger some day. I’m lazy…

image

Oh hey, Jersey City!