Monthly Archives: June 2016

Soldiers Dress

As soon as I finished my pattern grading class I finished up on a dress that had been half finished for months. I basically just needed to fix the straps together and hem the bottom. I didn’t have enough fabric at the bottom to hem without adding a strip to fold up. Pretty straightforward except that my blind hemmer was acting up. It took me several tries to catch the serged edge all the way around. I think it works best when the needle is catching a folded over edge of fabric… lesson learned.

I used Simplicity 2916.

image

I’m very pleased with the results.

image

It’ll be a great fall dress. I just wish I had lined it!

And, yes, those are soldiers on my dress.

Pattern Grading: Done

I finished the Pattern Grading class at FIT last week. It was intense!

image

I think it would have been busy even if it hadn’t been a summer intensive class. Still 3 days a week from 6:30 – 10:20 was grinding. I must’ve made approximately 10 nested patterns, which means I madeĀ  at least 60 patterns in 5 weeks.

Things I wish I had known/done beginning class one:

– bought a mono eraser

image

– bought a .3 mm mechanical drafting pencil
– measured my work more consistently

image

Overall the class was interesting and should be helpful in sizing up/down some of my old vintage patterns. Given the intensity and redundancy of some of the work, I’m not sure I would have taken this. I think learning this style of grading would have been difficult from a book, so it’s a tough call.

In any case, it’s done. Whew!

image