Tag Archives: class

Pattern Grading: Done

I finished the Pattern Grading class at FIT last week. It was intense!

image

I think it would have been busy even if it hadn’t been a summer intensive class. Still 3 days a week from 6:30 – 10:20 was grinding. I must’ve made approximately 10 nested patterns, which means I madeĀ  at least 60 patterns in 5 weeks.

Things I wish I had known/done beginning class one:

– bought a mono eraser

image

– bought a .3 mm mechanical drafting pencil
– measured my work more consistently

image

Overall the class was interesting and should be helpful in sizing up/down some of my old vintage patterns. Given the intensity and redundancy of some of the work, I’m not sure I would have taken this. I think learning this style of grading would have been difficult from a book, so it’s a tough call.

In any case, it’s done. Whew!

image

Class Two – Drafting the Back Bodice

The second class and assignment went smoothly. I finished the assignment in class, actually. It may have helped I took a pattern making class before based on Dorothy Moore’s book :

image

Compared to the Moore book, the measurements are slightly more comprehensive at FIT, so far anyway. I will agree with other bloggers though that the FIT class is only focused on measuring a dress form… to the point that we are instructed to find and measure from specific seams on the dress form. I’m not sure how this translates to actual people…

Photos to come.

Bias Binding and Other Stuff

image

It’s been a while since my last post and it’s a definite reflection of how little I have been sewing as well as how busy I am at work. 10-14 hour days have left little time and energy for sewing.
In the last month, I finished one project and it’s not even photo worthy. I Wii likely take it back to the machine and finish the edges.

In any case, I did buy a whole load of new sewing supplies between Christmas and now. Exhibit A above is the product of an eBay purchased seam binder. I am full in love with this sewing foot. I can’t say how many times I’ve angrily given up on bias binding projects because the stitching is uneven on one or both sides of the binding. This foot is proof the having the right tools can make all the difference.

I also bought the correct cams for my 401A as well several other slant shank feet. All the result of realizing I didn’t have a zipper foot for my machine… that I’ve had a year. Yea. Yep. Anyway…

When I went home for Christmas, I picked up some fabric as well. I need to stop buying fabric, I’m not sewing fast enough. I’ll post pictures later…

I was also supposed to leave home with a sewing machine I purchased on a prior visit but then my dad gifted me my great grandmother’s singer and I got overwhelmed and left them both in Wisconsin.

Since Christmas I’ve started four projects and finished one. It took all my effort just to get them cut out, they are just awaiting to be stitched.

Oh yea… And… I started a patternmaking class at FIT last week. I really love the teacher and I’m so excited to finally take a class at the school. Bought my L ruler and am ready to measure every inch of a $2,000 dress form!