Eight dart manipulations in one day. Just in time for class tomorrow.
It’s week eight of my patternmaking class at FIT. We finished the bodice, sleeve and skirt and this week we are working on manipulating darts.
I really like the teacher; she’s really patient and experienced. My only criticism of the class is the syllabus doesn’t suggest additional resources/text. I ended up buying a patternmaking book by Helen Armstrong because I missed one class and also the notes I took in class aren’t always legible. It’s interesting to see the subtle differences (1/4 in here or there) between her instructions vs the book. I wonder if it’s due to her experience, an accepted method at FIT or the forms we are using.
Overall, I’m enjoying the class. I was a little worried because I took patternmaking when I couldn’t get into Ladies Tailoring. I was concerned it would be too technical and tedious… Also it eats half my Sunday. While it can be laborious, I like it anyway.
The second class and assignment went smoothly. I finished the assignment in class, actually. It may have helped I took a pattern making class before based on Dorothy Moore’s book :
Compared to the Moore book, the measurements are slightly more comprehensive at FIT, so far anyway. I will agree with other bloggers though that the FIT class is only focused on measuring a dress form… to the point that we are instructed to find and measure from specific seams on the dress form. I’m not sure how this translates to actual people…
Photos to come.
It’s been a while since my last post and it’s a definite reflection of how little I have been sewing as well as how busy I am at work. 10-14 hour days have left little time and energy for sewing.
In the last month, I finished one project and it’s not even photo worthy. I Wii likely take it back to the machine and finish the edges.
In any case, I did buy a whole load of new sewing supplies between Christmas and now. Exhibit A above is the product of an eBay purchased seam binder. I am full in love with this sewing foot. I can’t say how many times I’ve angrily given up on bias binding projects because the stitching is uneven on one or both sides of the binding. This foot is proof the having the right tools can make all the difference.
I also bought the correct cams for my 401A as well several other slant shank feet. All the result of realizing I didn’t have a zipper foot for my machine… that I’ve had a year. Yea. Yep. Anyway…
When I went home for Christmas, I picked up some fabric as well. I need to stop buying fabric, I’m not sewing fast enough. I’ll post pictures later…
I was also supposed to leave home with a sewing machine I purchased on a prior visit but then my dad gifted me my great grandmother’s singer and I got overwhelmed and left them both in Wisconsin.
Since Christmas I’ve started four projects and finished one. It took all my effort just to get them cut out, they are just awaiting to be stitched.
Oh yea… And… I started a patternmaking class at FIT last week. I really love the teacher and I’m so excited to finally take a class at the school. Bought my L ruler and am ready to measure every inch of a $2,000 dress form!
My sister asked me to make her daughter’s baptism dress. I altered a pattern a bit and created a muslin for fitting since she lives in another state.
In my haste I realized I didn’t adjust the pattern straps. They are drafted to button on the top, so the back strap is longer. I should have cut them even despite the pattern. I’ll have to fix that tomorrow before sending.
In addition to creating a straight a-line shape, I also added a loop and ribbon in the back to more easily get the dress over my niece’s head. I hope there’s enough room!
I also realized if I had paid a bit more attention (or any) to pattern placement the floral design would be perfectly centered. It’s off an inch or so and it’s killing me! Oh well, that’s why we make muslins.