Tag Archives: singer

Bias Binding and Other Stuff

image

It’s been a while since my last post and it’s a definite reflection of how little I have been sewing as well as how busy I am at work. 10-14 hour days have left little time and energy for sewing.
In the last month, I finished one project and it’s not even photo worthy. I Wii likely take it back to the machine and finish the edges.

In any case, I did buy a whole load of new sewing supplies between Christmas and now. Exhibit A above is the product of an eBay purchased seam binder. I am full in love with this sewing foot. I can’t say how many times I’ve angrily given up on bias binding projects because the stitching is uneven on one or both sides of the binding. This foot is proof the having the right tools can make all the difference.

I also bought the correct cams for my 401A as well several other slant shank feet. All the result of realizing I didn’t have a zipper foot for my machine… that I’ve had a year. Yea. Yep. Anyway…

When I went home for Christmas, I picked up some fabric as well. I need to stop buying fabric, I’m not sewing fast enough. I’ll post pictures later…

I was also supposed to leave home with a sewing machine I purchased on a prior visit but then my dad gifted me my great grandmother’s singer and I got overwhelmed and left them both in Wisconsin.

Since Christmas I’ve started four projects and finished one. It took all my effort just to get them cut out, they are just awaiting to be stitched.

Oh yea… And… I started a patternmaking class at FIT last week. I really love the teacher and I’m so excited to finally take a class at the school. Bought my L ruler and am ready to measure every inch of a $2,000 dress form!

Advertisements

wpid-wp-1436149825592.jpg

This was supposed to be a half day sew prepped and finished Friday night in time for July 4. Instead, it took me 3 days and I managed to make every mistake possible.

wpid-wp-1436150317582.jpg

It started with my new machine. I recently purchased a long coveted 401A. I’m still learning the tension, but also it may need to be serviced because the bobbin seems to jump around quite a bit in the machine. Of course that is a terror on any fabric. I basically sewed the whole dress three times before giving up on the machine. Ugh.

Finally, after I had the dress mostly assembled, I realized the fabric was misaligned on the sides. I wasn’t trying to perfectly match the leaf pattern, but the bottom stripe definitely needed to be continuous. It turns out the fabric piece mislead me because the printed pattern was slightly slanted from the finished edge of the fabric. Anyway, I took the (serged) dress apart, aligned and re-sewed. Right after attaching the top band, I was cutting threads and snip! I cut a hole in the fabric on the side under the armpit. Luckily I cut the dress longer than that pattern. So, I moved the whole dress up a couple inches to cut away the fabric with the hole. When I finally got the sides seams sewn, the upper band attached and the elastic inserted, I gave up for the day.

Sunday I attacked the straps and hem with calm reserve bringing to an end the agony of what should have been a simple sew. I’m happy with the results, but I’m fully expecting to find issues with this dress as I wear it. I pulled it apart so many times that I must have missed some step…

wpid-wp-1436150268238.jpgwpid-wp-1436149825597.jpg

The fabric is an African Wax print I bought in the airport at Dar Es Salaam. It was from my first trip to Africa, so it’s a bit sentimental to me. As you can imagine, that made the stakes even higher when I snagged on a few obstacles.