Tag Archives: vintage

Woa

Woa, I finished a shirt while taking three classes and working full-time. To be fair this shirt has been cut out for almost half a year. 

It’s a pretty straightforward pattern, although I continue to dread any pattern with gathers. Why is it so hard to get an even gather?!

Another continued theme, I love my blind hemmer, still. Maybe each time more.

All in all. I like the pattern and the fit and I’ll probably do another in a different fabric.It’s perfect for work, me thinks.

Advertisements

Soldiers Dress

As soon as I finished my pattern grading class I finished up on a dress that had been half finished for months. I basically just needed to fix the straps together and hem the bottom. I didn’t have enough fabric at the bottom to hem without adding a strip to fold up. Pretty straightforward except that my blind hemmer was acting up. It took me several tries to catch the serged edge all the way around. I think it works best when the needle is catching a folded over edge of fabric… lesson learned.

I used Simplicity 2916.

image

I’m very pleased with the results.

image

It’ll be a great fall dress. I just wish I had lined it!

And, yes, those are soldiers on my dress.

When French Seams Go Bad

I’m really in love with my Simplicity 9043 pattern right now. I finished three t-shirts this weekend but I managed to take pictures of only one. The fabric I used was a thick polyester I’ve had on hand for some time. This one turned OK…

image

image

image

image

You can see on the sleeves that the seams look a little clumsy. I tried to use French seams on the entire shirt, but the fabric is too thick for that. I may try to serge the armholes later when I change the black thread from my serger some day. I’m lazy…

image

Oh hey, Jersey City!

wpid-wp-1436149825592.jpg

This was supposed to be a half day sew prepped and finished Friday night in time for July 4. Instead, it took me 3 days and I managed to make every mistake possible.

wpid-wp-1436150317582.jpg

It started with my new machine. I recently purchased a long coveted 401A. I’m still learning the tension, but also it may need to be serviced because the bobbin seems to jump around quite a bit in the machine. Of course that is a terror on any fabric. I basically sewed the whole dress three times before giving up on the machine. Ugh.

Finally, after I had the dress mostly assembled, I realized the fabric was misaligned on the sides. I wasn’t trying to perfectly match the leaf pattern, but the bottom stripe definitely needed to be continuous. It turns out the fabric piece mislead me because the printed pattern was slightly slanted from the finished edge of the fabric. Anyway, I took the (serged) dress apart, aligned and re-sewed. Right after attaching the top band, I was cutting threads and snip! I cut a hole in the fabric on the side under the armpit. Luckily I cut the dress longer than that pattern. So, I moved the whole dress up a couple inches to cut away the fabric with the hole. When I finally got the sides seams sewn, the upper band attached and the elastic inserted, I gave up for the day.

Sunday I attacked the straps and hem with calm reserve bringing to an end the agony of what should have been a simple sew. I’m happy with the results, but I’m fully expecting to find issues with this dress as I wear it. I pulled it apart so many times that I must have missed some step…

wpid-wp-1436150268238.jpgwpid-wp-1436149825597.jpg

The fabric is an African Wax print I bought in the airport at Dar Es Salaam. It was from my first trip to Africa, so it’s a bit sentimental to me. As you can imagine, that made the stakes even higher when I snagged on a few obstacles.

Simplicity 9043

This Simplicity pattern has a great 20’s shape that I’m drawn to.

image

The second time I looked at it, I realized I could take the skirt off to make a comfortable top with flattering sleeves.

image

image

I’m pretty happy with the result. The sleeves are comfortable and the body is roomy enough without looking awkward.

image

Part of the success was using this polyester cotton knit that I bought in Wisconsin at a fabric store located on a farm outside my hometown. Pretty elegant looking for country fashion.

image

Simplicity 8834 Tank Top

image

This is a simple tank I keep making over and over. I finally took the darts out of the pattern. (I’ll link to the tutorial I used in my next post.)

The fabric is very sheer (probably a rayon and polyester mix) so I sewed a full lining rather than just the facing. The  layers move nicely and although the hem is unintentionally stiff (I used stitch witchery), it creates an interesting effect.

image

image