Tag Archives: vintage

Taking manual pictures is hard…

image

Manual photography is difficult. See evidence above and below… The photo above is my own and the following are taken by Aaron. He said my shutter speed was probably slow since my image appeared in focus when I was aiming. I’m going to need lots of coaching. Continue reading

An apron

It’s 2015 and I haven’t done nearly as much sewing as I hoped. I did manage to finish an apron. I’m not very happy with it, though. I enlarged it from a child’s size and the arm holes are too big. I made a single pleat to fix the issue but I’m annoyed that I’ll have to adjust the pattern. I lined the entire apron and added pockets and lace. Things I’d do differently: lengthen it by two inches, decrease the bottom of the arm holes and use a better fabric in conjunction with binding in lieu of lining the apron.

image

Oh well, it’s an apron after all.

image

Scanning Patterns

I’ve become somewhat of a hoarder when it comes to vintage sewing patterns, and I decided a while back I could not hold on to nearly 500 sewing patterns. To encourage my giving them up, I determined I would need to copy them manually or electronically. After a bit of digging, I stumbled on the following tutorial:

Scanner Modifications to Scan Large Documents | Matthew Petroff –
http://mpetroff.net/2013/09/scanner-modifications-to-scan-large-documents/

I purchased the referenced scanner and began pulling it apart tonight only to realize I need a Dremel tool. Gah! TBC…

Shirt, Shirt, Apron

I didn’t get as much sewing done as I would have liked this long Thanksgiving weekend. I did manage to start two projects and make a small amount of headway on the western shirt.

IMG_20141130_215034IMG_20141130_215606~2IMG_20141130_215054To right is one of the new projects I started. Actually, I had been working on tracing the pattern onto Swedish tracing paper for a couple of weeks now.

I really love this tracing paper because it’s easy to trace and it’s durable – I can pin it without concern it will rip. I am slowly trying to trace all my vintage patterns, so I don’t have to worry about damaging them when I trace and cut.

When I finished copying the pattern, I decided to cut out the shirt on a remnant gifted to me. It’s such a small remnant, I ran out of fabric for the collar, so I’m going to have some extra seams lines in the back. Oh well. I usually consider my first of any pattern a muslin anyway.

I’m completing the yellow version above. I’m really excited to see what the finished shirt looks like. I tried it on already and I really like the silhouette. I think the boatneck collar will be really pretty.

IMG_20141130_215725~2 IMG_20141130_215244~2 IMG_20141130_215223~2 IMG_20141130_215234~2Then there’s this apron pattern. I enlarged the a-line version on the left. If you look closely you can see this is a girl’s size 6-8, so it needed to be much bigger.

It was my first time slicing a pattern and I think it looks pretty good. It’s a bit loose, but I think it should be loose if you plan to wear it over your clothes. I need to shorten it and add pockets. I may add some other design elements like embroidery, but I haven’t decided yet.

And finally, the western shirt is coming along, although slowly. I find I need to work on short projects when I’m completing something more challenging. I like to be able to take breaks from the more difficult project.

You can see the fabric is the same for both of these projects. I don’t particularly like the color and the quality of the fabric is awful. It’s just some $2 stuff I picked up for muslins, so I guess it fulfills its purpose.

IMG_20141130_214653~2IMG_20141130_214840~2IMG_20141130_214715~2