I’ve been pretty busy with patternmaking and tailoring classes the last couple years. Between classes and a demanding job, it’s been hard to really practice what I’ve been learning. I’m excited to take some time to do just that. Below is the first article of clothing I’ve ever drafted for myself. I realize it looks like a simple pencil skirt, and well, it is. But, it took me a lot of drafts to get the fit right. It was tedious but partly my own fault because my math was off in in my initial draft. The best part about drafting this skirt is that I finally have a sloper skirt. So, all the vintage patterns I have where the bust fits but the bottom is too small, I can easily swap out the bottom half for my sloper skirt. Woot!
I just realized that I never posted a single photo of my patternmaking or ladies tailoring class from Fall 2017. Probably because I was so overwhelmed and then I went straight into Coats and Suits. Eee.
Anyway, for documenting purposes, PM 233:
And below, is a vest from Tailoring II.There were two pairs of pants but I haven’t photographed them.
Last spring I finished a Coats and Suits class at FIT. It was hard or rather busy and I never posted a single blog post but I have loads of pics of my drafts and a couple of my Muslims. My final product had to be in fabric. I got sick the day before it was due and had to put it together in less than 12 hours. It was terrible but I finished all albeit without buttonholes. I’m still incredibly satisfied I finished the class while working a stressful job more than full-time. And, about a month ago I finally received my certificate in Patternmaking from FIT! I’m not done with classes but for now I want to pause and practice my skills.
Below is my final muslin.
I finished PM II, Web Design and Construction I. I must’ve been exhausted because I never posted pics or updates of my work. Construction I kinda fizzled and I don’t feel like posting about my website. So, here is my final project from PM II.
I’m happy with the results but unfortunately it was made on a dress for about two sizes bigger than me.
Woa, I finished a shirt while taking three classes and working full-time. To be fair this shirt has been cut out for almost half a year.
It’s a pretty straightforward pattern, although I continue to dread any pattern with gathers. Why is it so hard to get an even gather?!
Another continued theme, I love my blind hemmer, still. Maybe each time more.
The elections and aftermath have been challenging to say the least. To deal with the heaviness of it all, I decided to try to keep as occupied as possible by taking three classes this semester.
I’m currently enrolled in patternmaking II at FIT and Construction I and Web Fundamentals at New School. Thankfully the take home work hasn’t been too grueling and I’ve managed to keep my weekends mostly free.
Classes at New School are much less detailed than FIT. So far, it’s hard to tell whether the Construction I will actually expand my skills significantly. I have learned to drape a bodice, but we won’t get to skirts or pants. I do like draping more than I thought though and I think it’s going to really help with my fitting skills.
I realized finally that my sideseam measurement is an inch too wide as can be seen in the pic below
So far, patternmaking II has been all a review of PM I. I suspect the concepts will accelerate in the next class… I hope!
Web Fundamentals is funner than I thought it would be. I don’t know if I could teach myself though. The idea of coming home and reading HTML and CSS coding does not appeal to me in the least. The class setting has been so critical in keeping me on task.
I finished Ladies Tailoring I at FIT on Monday. I spent an entire semester sewing just TWO skirts.In fairness. I employed several techniques that were new to me. Hong Kong binding, sewing a full lining, using a felling and pick stitch, sewing on an industrial sewing machine.
But, I live in NJ and spent nearly 3 times as much on the class as my classmates, and my professor’s instruction was pretty disappointing. He often forgot names of stitches, never gave handouts and forget discussing alternative methods or historical context.
I’m glad it’s over and happy with my skirts. I wore the orange one (fabric from Mood) yesterday and the green wool one today.
We went DTS this weekend and stopped in Red Bank for some shopping and food on our way back. We stumbled in a thrift store where I found this awesome silk number. It needs some repair but thankfully the damage is all on the seams.
I’m really in love with the collar. I think I need to replicate it in a shirt-sized garment.
As soon as I finished my pattern grading class I finished up on a dress that had been half finished for months. I basically just needed to fix the straps together and hem the bottom. I didn’t have enough fabric at the bottom to hem without adding a strip to fold up. Pretty straightforward except that my blind hemmer was acting up. It took me several tries to catch the serged edge all the way around. I think it works best when the needle is catching a folded over edge of fabric… lesson learned.
I used Simplicity 2916.
I’m very pleased with the results.
It’ll be a great fall dress. I just wish I had lined it!
And, yes, those are soldiers on my dress.